2019 ORVIS CLEARWATER 905-4 FLY ROD OUTFIT : 9’0” 5WT
The 2019 Orvis Clearwater 905-4 Fly Rod Outfit features the new Orvis Clearwater 9'0" 5wt Fly Rod, new 2019 Orvis Clearwater II Fly Reel, and Orvis Clearwater WF floating fly line, Clearwater cordura rod tube, Orvis braided dacron backing, and Orvis tapered leader, shipped professionally rigged and ready to fish...just tie on a fly!
The new Orvis Clearwater 905-4 Fly Rod is the perfect all-purpose trout rod for rivers, ponds, and lakes of all sizes. Not only does it have the length to reach out and control drifts and the power to reach far banks, but the line weight to handle big trout and smaller bass. Firing a big streamer up and across a big river and reaching out to mend the line and control the drift is right in this rod's wheelhouse. From throwing big attractors with droppers, big hoppers in the early fall, or delivering delicate dry flies at 80 feet, the Clearwater 905-4 is the weapon of choice that will still leave some cash in your pocket.
The new Clearwater Rod Series is not just a cosmetic facelift, but a complete overhaul from the ground up by our Vermont rod designers. Everything has changed except the value. It's still the best fly rod you can buy for the money, but with a significant upgrade in performance and looks in a comprehensive series that covers every angler from small stream addicts to Skagit slinging two-handers. Each rod was designed with a purpose-built profile and action to handle the kind of fishing the rod model would be traditionally used for, from medium-action small stream rods to medium-fast freshwater rods and fast-action big game rods.
- 9”0” 5-weight is the perfect all-purpose trout and light bass rod
- Blanks are black chrome with white accents
- Quick rod identifier on the blank
- Chrome snake and stripping guide with a ceramic insert
- Full black nickel aluminum reel seats
- Includes Clearwater cordura divided rod tube
- Backed by the Orvis 25-Year Guarantee
- Each Clearwater rod taper designed in Vermont
4.90/5 Stars out of 10 Reviews
Thom | March 22nd, 2020
bought this as a beginner and am not disappointed.
Jake (Kentucky) | September 3rd, 2019
Purchased this setup for a good friend that is just starting to get into fly fishing. Not only will it serve him sell as he learns to fly fish, it is a quality set-up that he can fish for years to come.
Carlos (Butte MT) | August 30th, 2019
Great outfit for out here in Montana. Does not disappoint
Jorge González Wilson (Skopje, North Macedonia) | August 28th, 2019
All in together it is a nice combo especially considering the price. But there are two things that could have been done better:
1. the rod has no hook holder. Even though it is a lower price range rod for Orvis standard this is a must have in my opinion as you will actually find it on any rod no matter the price. In practice this means if I wanna change spots I will have to either hold the fly in my hand which could easily end in a bloody disaster or I will have to reel in the fly line and leader until I can hook the fly into the first ring at the butt section of the rod, which doesn't work if using midgets or small very small flies. This means everytime I have to thread the loop-to-loop connection through the last two snake rings, which is pretty annoying. Third option is to hook the fly into the cork, which tear the cork on the long run.
2. The reel brake is really hard to adjust. The knob does not run smooth and makes it hard to "intuitively" find the the right reel setting if things have to go fast.
The rod itself (not considering the missing hook holder) is awesome and casts good.
Ross Cole (NY) | August 7th, 2019
This is a great price for the quality you get. The 5wt is great for all my fishing needs, wild brown trout creeks, as well as smallmouth. Very pleased with the outfit.
Greg v (Albuquerque NM) | August 2nd, 2019
You won't find a better quality reel and rod for the money. Its ideal for beginners but works for those who want to buy something that lasts a lifetime.
michael hughes (Georgia) | July 18th, 2019
Was looking for something to get started with but wouldn't outgrow if/when I get 'hooked'. Friends suggested going a step above the Encounter combo for about $100 more due to the big step up in quality. It arrived today and looks great. Reel Fly Rod set it all up so it is ready to fish right out of the box.
Rob L (Louisiana) | July 5th, 2019
I was debating between this rod/reel outfit and the Encounter. I must say, after having seen the Encounter in my local Cabelas compared to this, which arrived in the mail today, this purchase was well worth the extra money. Not only does this come with the 25 year warranty, while the Encounter does not, but you can see the craftsmanship on this product. It's a step below the Recon in terms of their pricing, but the 2019 redesign really gives you a far better option than the Encounter that's nearly as nice as the Recon. If you're debating between the Recon and this one, you can't go wrong. Just depends on how much money you want to spend. If you are debating between this and the Encounter, go with this one. It's well worth it. And if you're about to buy any of them, go with ReelFlyRod. They are very responsive over email and offer better deals than anywhere else I've found online.
Patrick Gonzalez (Morehead, KY) | July 1st, 2019
Amazing quality for the price. You won't be disappointed with this one!
Kudos to ReelFlyRod staff. They are extremely responsive and go out of their way to help customers.
Dylyn Clark (Colorado) | July 1st, 2019
The Orvis Clearwater Rod Outfit is arguably the best bang for your buck. The 2019 Clearwater Rod has great action, delivers flies accurately and with ease, The Clearwater II Reel has a solid construction with fantastic drag for the money. If you are looking for an affordable Outfit or something that will catch fish for a lifetime, the Orvis Clearwater leads the pack!