PATAGONIA RIVER SALT WADING BOOT - BUILT BY DANNER
Lighter-weight for wet wading, flats fishing and long approaches, these boots are built by Danner in the USA and offer excellent performance and durability in both fresh and salt water; made from full-grain leather with Vibram Megagrip soles for secure traction across a wide range of surfaces.
To create the new Foot Tractor Wading Boots, Patagonia designers applied the same innovation, craftsmanship and quality to a lighter-weight cousin. Sharing many of the same performance attributes as the Foot Tractors but geared toward wet wading, flats fishing and the backcountry, the new River Salt Wading Boots are built for the long haul—whether it’s the steep scramble to alpine-lake nirvana, wet wading in summer streams or stalking tailing bones across flats that stretch to the horizon. The uppers combine waterproof, full-grain leather with tough-yet-light 1,000-denier nylon panels, providing the protection you need from river rock and coral heads; adjustable speed lacing provides a customized fit across the forefoot and through the ankle for support on uneven surfaces. On the interior, a molded bi-fit board combines the shank, midsole and lasting board into a single piece that reduces weight without sacrificing comfort or durability. Securing the uppers to the soles, handcrafted, stitch-down construction creates a wide, stable platform and allows the boots to be easily resoled for lifetime performance that’s measured in decades. The Vibram Megagrip sole compound was specifically developed for traction on both wet and dry surfaces, stands up to miles of dirt-road walk-ins and sharp coral flats, and works just as well for everyday fishing at the home pool; the soles also accept studs for additional traction. Made by hand (from imported parts) in Portland, Oregon, our Danner boots are the best wading boots we’ve ever made—and we believe they’re the last ones you’ll ever need to buy.
- Waterproof full-grain leather treated with a PFC-free saline solution tanning process for improved resistance to breakdown, even in salt water; the leather can be reconditioned as necessary. Tough 1,000-denier nylon paneling provides excellent abrasion resistance
- Adjustable speed lacing system; a quick pull gives a precise and secure fit over the forefoot and through the ankle
- Perforated drains on both sides of boot upper clear water quickly; for faster dry times, upper design is free from unnecessary foams and backers
- Molded bi-fit board combines the shank, lasting board and midsole into a single piece that reduces weight without sacrificing comfort and support
- Stitch-down construction creates a wider platform for more stability, helps protect the boot sidewall and allows the boots to be resoled by Danner
- Vibrams Megagrip sole compound specially developed for grip on both wet and dry surfaces while maintaining a higher level of durability
- 1593 g (56.2 oz)
- Upper: full-grain leather with 1,000-denier 100% nylon paneling.
- Lining: 67% polyester/33% nylon.
- Top midsole: 8IR rubber.
- Lower midsole: polyether polyurethane.
- Outsole: Vibram Megagrip
Danner boots are built to accommodate additional layers such as wader booties or socks, so we suggest choosing your regular street-shoe size. River Salt Boots work with thin wader booties; if you want to wear them with extra thick socks, please size up.
5.00/5 Stars out of 4 Reviews
Patrick (RI) | July 25th, 2022
I use these for fishing seaweed covered rocks in New England. With studs the traction is incredible. I think Patagonia wiffed marketing these as wet wading boots because the are fantastic grippy boots that you wear with and without waders. Not quite the ankle support as some other moon boot looking wading boots but I prefer the added dexterity I get with these. I sized one up from street shoes and they are perfect.
Joe Elias (Pennsylvania) | December 9th, 2021
Been wanting these boots for a long time. They do not disappoint! Great addition to my gear
Ted (Colorado) | May 31st, 2021
I have two pairs of the Foot Tractor boots, one a larger size for use in winter. I bought these for travel and packing in to more remote fishing spots since they are quite a bit lighter than the Foot Tractors. I did not expect the sole to be as grippy, but I can not tell any difference in the performance while wading. I have the rubber soles and am not using any spikes in any of these boots. They have the best gripping rubber sole that I have used. I am more confident wading in them because they allow me to feel where I am wading. Many newer boots have overly stiff soles. These boots are just right.
Zack (Rhode Island) | March 3rd, 2021
I went with 5 starts with this review but total transparency I have "used " them yet since we are still about a month shy of the spring season. However first impressions say it all. I have worn them around the house for hours just to get a feel for them and they are great. I almost never spend money on wading boots cause they get absolutely destroyed and end up in the trash but these are not only built well but designed to be resoled not thrown away. I had a bad experience with a barely used pair of boots this year that were too large but since "worn" the manufacturer would not take them back. I won't name the other company but let's just say they are the biggest name in fly fishing but an absolute joke. I won't buy anything OTHER than Patagonia moving forward.